The Secret Message Behind Carol Burnett’s Famous Ear Tug

For more than 10 years, the Carroll Carol Show ended with a song … and an ear tug. Viewers didn’t know that when the comedian was pulling her left earring at the end of “I’m So Glad We Had This Time With Together”, she was also sending a message to the woman who picked her up: her grandmother.

“My grandmother brought me up here in Hollywood. When I got my first job in New York, I called her and I said ‘Granny, I’m going to be on television on Saturday morning.” He said, ‘Well, you will say hi to me.’
We figured it out – to pull my ear off – and that was his sign for me, “she revealed.” It always meant ‘hi granny. I am fine. I love you. “Later that meant, ‘Hi granny. I’m fine. I love you. Your investigation along the way.’

Ending a difficult childhood, Burnett feels ‘safe’ with her grandmother

His parents were alcoholics and divorced each other when he was young. Burnett was sent to live with her Christian Scientist grandmother Mabel White (aka Nani), and the two found a way to live in a low-income studio apartment in Hollywood, California, near their mother and step-sister Chrissy.

Despite being poor, Burnett finds solitude in Nani’s love. But this was not to say that Nani was perfect. In fact, according to Burnett’s memoir, One More Time, his grandmother was manipulating and was a hypochondriac. There were a lot of secrets surrounding Nani’s life, but still, the comedian found solitude in their relationship.

In her eyes, I was her number one person in the world, so I felt safe with her.”

Her grandmother introduced Burnett to films, which taught her ‘everything possible’

A talented singer and musician, Nani would sing at home with Burnett and teach him to see the bright side of life, regardless of circumstances. When she was not taking her granddaughter out to get laughter from her granddaughter, she was taking Burnett and Chrissy to a silver pot for dinner so they could eat the pot.

Although there was a cash crunch, there was one thing that Nani would include her granddaughters in films.

The trio would often visit film palaces and see Hollywood greats like Fred Astaire and Joan Crawford … plus “borrow” toilet paper from theaters’ bathroom stalls.

Despite his sticky fingers, it would be these memories of watching cinema that would inspire Burnett to pursue a singing and acting career.

“I grew up going to the movies in the 30s and 40s when there was no craze,” Burnett said. “I never looked at the darkness. I think those films could be what I was meant to be – a young mind impression and a young girl doing everything possible. you can be happy.”

Burnett’s ear tugs were actually inspired by a dance troupe

Although her parents were never able to experience her success, Nani was able to share important milestones with her granddaughter, flying to see her performance on Broadway and watching her on TV. However, since the nanny could not always come there, Burnett’s ever-famous earring became a symbol of his love.

(Burnett admitted that she actually borrowed the gesture from a dance troupe, who decided to do it as a way of saying “hello” to her children.)

As Burnett’s star rose, Nani’s health began to decline. Once upon a time, Nani suffered a mild heart attack. Burnett recalled that many neighbors from his run-down studio apartment in Hollywood – who often worked as acting extras for the studio – came to encourage him when he was recruiting.

“So granny’s] in the hospital and there was this line of extras in costumes lined up at her door to cheer her up. There was a man playing a harmonica while her daughter, wearing a tutu, was doing a tap dance, Was making a detour.

The baton, and ended in a split! Once he was finished, Nani said, ‘Well, thank you very much, I’ll tell Carol about you. Send in the next one.’ It was like she was taking his audition. ”

Although the nanny died before the Carol Burnett Show, the comedians have never forgotten how their nanny’s love and support molded her resilience and creativity. That’s why the whole world smiles and continues to give Burnett a tug for her left ear.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coco Chanel’s Secret Life as a Nazi Agent

Titanic Survivor The Extraordinary Life of Elsie Bowerman